It's Easy to Stop Leaks into Drains
Leaking and messy dumpster areas and wet food compactors pollute Puget Sound and attract rats. Follow these tips to keep these areas clean:
- Make sure your dumpsters and compactors are leak proof.
- Never allow any spillage to enter storm drains. If spills happen, clean them up right away with absorbent materials like rags, heavy duty paper towels, or absorbent pads.
- Provide at least quarterly inspections for leakages.
- Notify your management early if your compactor is leaking so a replacement can be made soon. Call your garbage hauler for a replacement dumpster.
- Consider covering your dumpster with a roof, or plumb the drain underneath to the sewer system so the leakage can be carried to the sewer treatment plant.