Check Before You Dig
Kitsap Public Health District monitors Kitsap’s recreational shellfish beds to ensure the shellfish are safe to eat. This is important because eating shellfish can be dangerous if they are affected by pollution or PSP toxin, commonly known as red tide. The red-tide toxin, produced by specific algae, can make people sick—and can even kill.
Alerting The Public
When pollution or red tide in a shellfish bed is discovered the Health District posts signs in the area warning the public not to harvest and eat from the bed. They also publicize the situation in local media and their website
If pollution is found, the Health District will investigate—and correct—the causes, helping to prevent future pollution.